- Open Access – Our curators search the internet for content that is open access, meaning it can be copied and shared freely. In some cases, we receive permission from content creators and organizations to freely copy and share their content on our library. Any new content we create is also open access.
- Relevant – We know that for information to be useful, it must be relevant. This is why we carefully and thoughtfully curate content that is relevant to our library users and their unique information needs. Our model includes working with in-field partners to determine content needs and requests.
- Localized – We provide resources that are applicable locally and tailored for each region in which we work. For example, we work with in-field partners to include local textbooks, lesson plans, and other materials specific to their geographic location and culture.
Our library collections feature content that is:
Our Collections Include:
- Education Library (English): Main Collection
- Pacific Islands Version
- East Africa Version
- Education Library (Spanish): Main Collection
- Mexico Version
- Health Library (English): Nursing and Midwifery Collection
- Health Library (English): Biomedical Technologies Collection
- Lands Initiative: Agricultural Collection (English)
In total, our collections comprise over 45,000 resources (and counting!) that library users can access.
A Library is Never Finished
The SolarSPELL team strives to continuously improve our digital libraries. We gather data from the field and feedback from our library users to determine what content should be added, removed, or enhanced.The library is routinely updated with quality content to meet our library users’ information needs.
If you have content you would like to contribute to our library collections, please contact us by emailing us at [email protected].
Our libraries feature content from the following organizations:
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Khan Academy
- Peace Corps
- Scientific Animations Without Borders (SAWBO)
- The Global Library of Women’s Medicine (GLOWM)
- Infonet Biovision
- Hesperian Health
- Big History Project
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- SIL International
- Science Learning Hub
- Voice of America
- University of Colorado Boulder–PhET
- The African Storybook Initiative
- World Health Organization
- Ministry of iTaukei Affairs (Fiji)
- Ministry of Pacific Peoples
- Ministry of Health Tonga
- Ministry of Agriculture & Livestock, Solomon Islands
- Ministry of Education, Heritage, and the Arts, Fiji
- Ministry of Education and Training, Republic of Vanuatu
- Ministry of Education of the Union of Comoros
- Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning, Rwanda
- Ministry of Economy South Sudan
- Ministry of General Education South Sudan
- Ministry of Education Ethiopia